Domestika is looking for a Gaffer.
Your main responsibility will be to facilitate the logistics and maintenance of lighting materials on the set of the shoot for courses and promotional trailers and other audiovisual materials so that your work is perfectly reflected in the project. You will work side-by-side with producers, directors, assistants, and the Photography Department. You will join the film crew for Domestika’s courses in São Paulo.
Domestika is the fastest-growing creative community where the best creative experts share their knowledge and skills through professionally produced online courses.
It all started as an online forum and a small but dynamic showcase of creative professionals, designed to help them connect and learn from each other. Inspired by their thriving community, Domestika widened its reach by producing online courses for anyone interested in unleashing their creative potential and connecting with like-minded creatives from around the world.
Domestika carefully curates the teacher roster and produces all the courses in-house, to ensure a high-quality online learning experience for everyone. Today, the online community is home to over 6 million people from around the world who are curious and passionate about learning new creative skills.
What does a Gaffer do at Domestika?
- Participate in pre-production meetings with the photography team and the director so that the aesthetics of the set for the course, trailer, and resources are the most fitting for each project.
- Define the technical approach to photography and grip.
- Secure all equipment, both the tools used on the ground and overhead materials that will be attached to the ceiling on the set.
- Assist all production teams in any way possible as long as this collaboration does not interfere with the ability to carry out the responsibilities specific to this job.
- Manage the transportation of lighting materials, either at the company’s headquarters or at external locations, during trips to other sites, and in any other situations that may emerge during production.
- Manage lighting or work with the photography team and film crew to carry out lighting tasks on the set.
- Keep the storage space for lighting materials in good condition, both in terms of cleanliness and organization, taking inventory whenever necessary.
- Monitor the receipt of new materials or returns to providers.
- Manage teams, either large or small, whenever taking on this responsibility is necessary.
What is important for a Gaffer?
- You feel comfortable carrying out high-performance projects with deadlines.
- You can solve any production issue.
- You can set guidelines to create an effective lighting diagram. You make things easier for everyone.
- You have experience managing large work teams.
- You are familiar with technical terminology associated with film and business.
- You are an organized person who loves your work enjoys creativity and is deeply interested in all the arts, as well as in visual communication.
- Proven experience working on film or audiovisual lighting teams.
- Aesthetic criteria.
- Advanced English level and ability to apply the language fully in a professional setting. Knowledge of any other language is also a welcome plus.
- Ability to dynamically face any issue on the set, as well as solve unforeseen circumstances related to production.
- Creativity when proposing ideas to team members and solving issues that may emerge through improvisation.
- Experience using tools specific to the Photography and Camera Department, as well as knowledge of lighting diagrams, specific terminology, etc.
- Ability to train the film crew regarding basic knowledge of photography and the correct use of grip gear and lighting materials.
- A constant interest in new audiovisual technology and up-and-coming tools for both grip and lighting tasks.
- Knowledge that effective organization is a good antidote.
- Experience working with the Art Department, helping out whenever possible.
- Respect for current protocols and a constant interest in improving them.
- A decisive personality with a sense of humor and a good dose of flexibility.
- Knowledge that the details make all the difference.
What do we offer?
- Work in one of the leading companies in the creative industry.
- A creative, dynamic, exciting, collaborative, and multicultural team.
- An active work environment where you can hone your skills, learn alongside your colleagues, and develop your career.
- A salary according to your experience and profile.